Sunday 28 October 2012

Crushed by Kindness...

I know I was supposed to post something Saturday but I have been getting many visits from friends and family. It has been busy around here! 

Without sounding repetitive and turning into the sappy douche bag that I would want to backhand if I was reading about this from the outside, I need to thank everyone who has been a part of this experience. It has been crazy and amazing. I am not just talking about the fundraising effort that has allowed me to stay calm and heal up. I am talking about having the opportunity to see how people feel about you. 

The emails and posts that have been coming in make this situation so much easier to deal with. I have had nothing but love from my friends and family and I truly believe all the good vibes, prayers, and words of encouragement are a huge part of the reason my body is healing so quickly. That being said, here's an update on the old body...

I am starting to get the feeling back in the left side of my face and in my teeth and gums. The cuts on my face are gone and so is all the swelling. My clavicle is coming along and the fractured ribs remain the biggest source of pain. Sneezing sucks but this situation has forced me out of my pepper sniffing habit. So thats good. I have no pain in my neck or spine and the neck brace is still my nemesis. In all seriousness, I am grateful to be able to wipe my own arse and get dressed by myself. Last night I was able to use my left arm to wash under my right armpit and was super pumped about it. I am walking around no problem and the range of motion in my left arm is nearly perfect. Raising it above my head remains a challenge but it is getting better. I have gotten off the painkillers and am using tylenol and advil when it hurts like crazy. I need to feel where I am at in order to set the proper limits. Can't do that all stoned outta my mind...

 My girlfriend Terri has been a rock and has made this a great experience so far by laughing at me and with me. Just the way I like it. She has been keeping the house together and all the animals are well taken care of. She is a beast. A beautiful beast!

I have had so many offers to help around here and so many people who have come by to help with chores and with whatever needs doing. People have dropped off food and have let me know that they are there to help.  The whole thing has been nothing but positive. Positive and inspiring.

You see, this experience is making me realize how fortunate I am. I went to the cancer clinic on Friday for my check up with my oncologist. I hate going to the clinic for many reasons, but this time I was particularly antsy because for one, I had to let Terri drive me there and I always do that stuff alone. I hate to stress people out or burden them with my troubles but in this case, I couldn't drive and had to let Terri take me. I was grateful (to say the least) to get the all clear from my doctor and was excited to get out of there. I realized that it is really important to know when to say yes to help and that when people want to help you, you should probably let them.

The past few days have been embarrassing, shocking and incredibly touching for me. The fact that so many have reached out in so many ways makes me feel like I have been doing the right thing with my life and that I have made a difference in people's lives. That helps me sleep at night. Stop making me cry you bastards...

 I am excited to heal up and take all that love, support and energy you have given me and use it to keep pushing forward, doing the things I do. Besides the book, I have other projects that are going to surface this year. This is shaping up to be one of the most important years of my life and I am proud that so many people are going to be part of it. Words only go so far, and I look forward to showing you what I am talking about. So thank you to all of those who have helped me with this situation. You will never know what this has meant to me. (unless I get a chance to bear hug you... THEN you'll know!) 

 In closing I want to say that if you need to spend some quiet time somewhere, or need a place to re charge, contact me and I'll let you know how to get to the farm. This place is magical and is to be shared. I also love visitors! I hope you all have a great week and once again, I kiss your faces. The people in my life make it worth living and for that I am grateful. I am one lucky bastard and I know it. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
 Love,
Pete

2 comments:

  1. Hey Pete, thanks for the update, glad to here you are coming around. Just a friendly reminder not to push the healing envelope too hard! Look forward to seeing you down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad for the update. And happy that you are healing. Take it easy. Take care of yourself and let others take care of you.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete