Sunday 21 October 2012

Smashing Revelations.

A funny thing happened at work last Thursday...
Let the swelling begin!
Well, not so much funny as kinda shitty and very scary, but funny in the sense that I think the Universe is trying to tell me something... Again... While doing a removal of a big Maple tree (I had to go back to tree work for the summer, more on that later) I got smashed by a huge limb. The above picture is what my face looked like after eating a few hundred pounds of wood. Here is another angle...

I won't get into the details of what happened because I don't remember. The rest of the guys said the accident happened so fast that they aren't sure what happened. All I know is when I was lowering the limb, something went sideways and I ended up taking a 12 foot heavy ass limb full tilt to the left side of my body. My hardhat  (see below) 



and amazing, fat man, cat like reflexes allowed me to minimize the damage by turning away at least enough to not take the impact head on.  I still got my ass kicked though.

I have done hundreds of tree removals.
I have lowered hundreds of limbs, branches, tops of trees etc...
Myself and the crew know what we are doing.
Sometimes things go sideways and sometimes you get smashed.

The point of this post is not to whine about the accident. What I want to talk about is the weird and wonderful way this world works for me sometimes. You see, I am in the home stretch of having my first book released upon the world. If ever there was a time to  be on my game, to be sharp as hell and ready to work really hard at promoting and marketing my project, this is it. So what happens when I need to be my best? What happens when I need to be the most amazing version of myself EVER?

Thats right. I get smashed by a tree at work.  

So there I was, lying in the trauma unit feeling very, very grateful to be alive. I sustained three fractures to my face, a broken left collarbone, fractures on my c7 and t 2 thru 6 vertebrae, 4 fractured ribs and a messed up, swollen left foot. I did not however crap my pants upon impact and for that I am proud and grateful. The irony is not lost on me that I am about to release a book called THE BAD TIMES BIBLE. Because this situation my friends could most certainly be described or defined as a BAD TIME. The irony is, my little smash up is turning out to be a very good time.
Now before you ask me if I have lost my mind let me explain. (yes, I did sustain a head injury but my cheese has not fully slipped off the cracker)

You see, before this accident happened I was contemplating what I had to sell to pay for the publication of my book. I was looking at my guitars and wondering what medical experiments I could volunteer for to pay for this endeavour. I was also worried about making the time to really focus on this first big push to get the word out about the book. I had alot on my mind and no time to really devote to it. I am not a wealthy man in the monetary sense and am like many people behind the financial eight ball. So work, work, work is the order of the day.

So the universe comes up with the perfect solution. 

The Universe or my higher self or something because I certainly didn't willingly volunteer for this.

I get smashed by a tree.

Why is this the perfect solution? Let me tell you.

Soon after the dust settled my sister, realizing the situation I am now in, decides to put a fundraiser together to help me in my time of need. She comes into the hospital and asks me if I would be okay with this idea. I tell her I am embarrassed and not sure it is a good idea at all. My sister then proceeds to tell me that it is my turn to accept help. That I have always given my time and talents (I play music with my band Loudlove. Check out Loudlove.com) to raise money for a multitude of causes. I tell her I have to think about it. I feel that she already has the wheels in motion. She is very sneaky. She is also amazing. 

Remember that I am high on painkillers and pretty smashed up so my thinking is a little off. As I lie there in bed that night I am thinking to myself that this is actually perfect. I am going to be off for 6 weeks minimum healing from my injuries, so there is the time I needed to really send my book off right. I still have my right arm to type with, and my left will be coming along shortly, so that is also a bonus. If I go ahead with the fundraiser I will have help with the book costs.

It is starting to make sense.

I decide that the only way I will go ahead with this fundraiser is if people know the money is going towards putting my book out. A book which is written for young men going through the cancer experience and for the people who love them. People in crisis. The money raised is going to support a book which I truly believe is going to help many people deal with the crazy shit that is happening to them. This whole thing is about paying it forward. It makes sense. I feel at peace. A smile creeps across my fat, swollen face as I realize I am exactly where I am supposed to be.

As soon as I make that decision I feel every cell in my body smile.

I know it seems crazy, but to me it is perfect. It has been a week and I am getting on my feet and starting to get organized for the big push. Today, sitting on the front porch at the farm where my lady and I live, I smiled...   



I smiled because my family and friends are stepping up for me.

I smiled because I was going to be able to put my book into motion without selling my guitars or my organs.

I smiled because I was resting my body which has been pushed hard for a long time.

I smiled because even in my smashed up state, my shitty financial situation and in my discomfort, 

I was happy.

Deep down inside I know that this is all for the good, and not just for myself.
That thought moved me to tears, and I was grateful to have had it.

WEll, thats where I'm at. Its late and I have to sleep. I have work to do.

Nighty night my friends.
Petey.





6 comments:

  1. ...Sweet irony! :-) Can't wait to read it! Feel better soon! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...And you will publish your book and sell thousands of paper copies. Tree - zero. Pete - millions. Check and mate.

    -Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. How do I burn this wood? I need heat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Peter. Been awhile. I'll do my best to get to the fundraiser with a little something. Like you, I to am behind that ever so testing eight ball. Just wanted to say I'm glad to hear your ok. Glad to know the light you give to so many will continue to shine. The great men this world has ever known are men that talk about ideas and the future, talking about the positive of life's experiences. Keep that fire burning brother.
    All my best! Pat Hebert

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Peter. I've been a Loudlove fan for a long time. So sorry to hear of this new crappy time you are going through but REALLY happy to hear the good that's going to come out of it and the peace you are feeling now. Looking forward to the fundraiser.
    -Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blown away, blown away, blown away by the love and support... Damn...

    ReplyDelete